Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Natural Selection

TYSON - Had I lived 3-4 thousands year ago, I'm pretty sure I would have been a likely candidate for natural selection. Here's why--> I was to fly out of Midway to Manchester, NH tonight. At the Clark/Lake transfer I got on the wrong train and didn't realize until I was halfway to Indiana on the green line. I realized it, jump off and caught an inbound train back to the loop. I figured I still had just enough time to make my flight. I got back to Roosevelt where there's another transfer from the green to orange line. I jump off the green line and, luckily, there was an outbound train right across the platform. I ran with my bags and jumped on.

The doors closed. I looked up at the train map -- I HAD GOTTEN BACK ON THE GREEN LINE. Explitives raced through my mind. There was almost no way I could make my flight.

20 minutes later I was on an outbound orange line train to Midway. After checking the schedule I learned that I would have 20 minutes from the time my train arrived to the time the doors closed at my gate. I still had a chance. In fact, I was pretty sure I could make it. I decided to get all my things in order so I could make a quick dash through security and make it to my flight. I opened my computer bag AND MY LICENSE WAS MISSING!!!!!

This time, no explitives came to mind. I decided, instead, that the flight was cursed and fate was simply trying to keep me from dying in a plane crash.

Surely, such a careless, accident-prone creature wouldn't last very long in a less forgiving time.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I have many similar experiences now that I actually drive myself places. In your absence, my sense of direction has not improved. I'm like a monkey - I have memorized the way to a few new places, but still cannot figure much out on my own. Thank goodness for cell phones.

Whitney Hardie said...

I think you would have survived natural selection for one important reason...your good sense of humor. Sometimes, it's the only way to survive stories like this one.