Saturday, February 9, 2008

papa rane

last night tyson and i drove to the o'hare airport to catch dinner with my dad who had a 3 hour layover here in chicago. he is on his way to india to photograph tigers while riding around on the backs of elephants for 2 weeks.
on the way home i just kept thinking about how cool it is that my dad does this. if you just met my dad randomly you would find him to be a non-assuming, down to earth, audiologist from alabama (of all places). you would never suspect that he has an amazing talent for photographing wildlife and loves to travel. also he is the president of a nonprofit called america helps which does a medical mission to africa once a year. he has traveled to africa probably a dozen times over the past 8 years.
i really think that my dad's decisions to not take the normal road and travel, and the fact that he has taken us kids along with him, have really changed who i am. i don't think that i would have ever had the courage to do some of the traveling i have done if my father hadn't first introduced me to it. i am so thankful for that and inspired by his desire to serve and to create. the life experiences i have had while following him to remote areas of the world have been powerful in my life.

here is one of my favorite images that my dad has taken. his website should be going live within a week or so and i will post about it then so that you can see more of his work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think it's totally amazing - the picture and the things he does.

Boyd Box said...

I must say that knowing you (and therefore, coming into contact with said father) has broadened my horizons as well. It's the photography I have seen of yours and then of your dad's that inspired me to get into that hobby as well. In fact, I'm excited to see his site and would even venture purchasing some of his work if it would fit in my budget as my daughter is so into animals.

Mojo said...

wow! I like that photography!
Mo